National Recording Project

  ..

Detail from: Memorial to 158 Squadron by Peter W. Naylor, 2009

Cardinal Newman, Statue, Brompton Oratory Complex

Summary

Type Statue , Building

     The cardinal, facing front and slightly towards his feet, stands in a niche. He holds his hat and the right hand and a book in his left hand. The niche is set within a canopy supported by four columns. Above the canopy, a plinth supports a free standing carved figure. The niche has floral carvings on its sides and, below them, are coats of arms. John Blackwood, London's Immortals. Survey of London, XLI, Southern Kensington: Brompton, 1983.
         

Inscriptions

On marble slab on south face of base, below figure, incised and in black coloured lettering: JOHN HENRY/ CARDINAL NEWMAN/ 1801-1890

Contributor details

Contributor Role
Fair & Myer, None Builder
Bodley & Garner, None Architect
Chatalliaud, Leon Joseph Sculptor

Element details

Part of work Material Dimensions
Cardinal Newman Campanella Marble life-size
Canopy Portland Stone None

PMSA recording information

Reference Region
CLKC070 CL
General condition Good
Surface condition
  • Biological growth
  • Corrosion, Deterioration
Structural condition
Vandalism
Road Thurloe Place
Precise location To the west of Brompton Oratory, part of the Brompton Oratory Complex
A-Z ref 76 4B
OS ref None

Sorry, we have no precise geographical information for this item.

Date of design 1895
Year of unveiling 1896
Unveiling details 15.6.1896
Commissioned by General subscription
Duty of care Congregation of Oratorians (?)
Listing status Don't know
At risk? No known risk

‹‹ Back to search results