Chancellor Law's (1790-1876) Fountain
The fountain has a round basin with a rusticated surround with four projections for the couched lions. The central bowl has an octagonal base with naturalistic herons, fish and reed upon it. Above this a basin of foliage forms supports a figure with two fish tails blowing a conical shell.
The fountain was a gift to the people of Lichfield from Chancellor Law. The poster detailing the opening of the fountain in 1871, lists the afternoon's events. This included a procession around the fountain led by the Mayor of Lichfield and Chancellor Law. Whilst the procession took place children sang the Old Hundredth Psalm. After the hymn the Chancellor handed the keys over to the Mayor. The ceremony ended with the fountain in operation.(2) The fountain now only plays at irregular intervals.
Chancellor James Thomas Law (1790-1876), was the Chancellor of the Diocese and Master of hospital of St John, and known to the people of Lichfield as Chancellor Law. He was educated at Christ'sCcollege, Cambridge graduating in 1812, and taking orders in 1814. He has been described as 'a one-man civic society'(1) and gave much to the City including the statue of Samuel Johnson in the market place. He also chaired the committee which built Lichfield's public library. His sense of civic duty continued after his wife's death, when he built a large mausoleum close to the road with a clock upon it for passing travellers.
Beneath iron structure, around circular base: PRESENTED TO THE CITIZENS OF LICHFIELD BY CHANCELLOR LAW MAY 18 1871
PMSA recording information